The Invisible Eyeball




 I think a lot of these literary works boasts of their main characters for being heroic--- whether for dramatic effects or for highlighting their characteristics is not important--- but there is one thing I would like you to consider. 

The value of life itself can be quantified, very much so. And so when the hero swoops in and saves the masses, does the hero ever wonder if the masses are worth saving? Does the hero think about if the masses will be able to produce a nestful of heroes? Worse, does the hero think about if the masses will be able to produce any heroes at all? No. He is caught up in the action of saving. He is then a mindless machine churning inside the wheels of his own ego. He, then, is no hero at all. 

"To be completely rational is frightening", my ethics professor had paused, "it is inhumane."

I have long thought about that statement. In order to be completely rational, one must extract oneself from all attachments. A rather comical image that comes up for me is Emerson's invisible eyeball. If you are a transparent eyeball, you can only ever receive, reason, and deduce. 

This brings me to my next point. Rationality leads us farther away from innovation, contrary to what most would perceive as connotatively similar words. For innovation to take place, one must have creativity. However, my definition of a rational mind counters creativity. 

And now I have summarized why there are so many heroes in this world, but not enough transparent eyeballs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ArtificiaI General Intelligence Safety Fundamentals Notes

A year, introspectively summarized

Vicissitude